View Single Post
Old 12 April 2017, 11:28   #5
Anakirob
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
I found and modified the seed value (or something similar in the level generator code) in 1990s and it did create different levels and it seemed to work. I had the infamous badly cracked version (can't enter shops) which I "fixed", I guess I wanted to examine the code more after that. Or something.

Thats all I remember..
This is most promising to hear from such a source as such a respectable member of the Amiga community as yourself. I may open another thread in either WinUAE or WHDLoad section when I get more serious about this idea.
Indeed you can probably expect either Troy Wilkins or myself to contact you in the near future in regards to covering UAE in our magazine, we are more interested in FS-UAE but I understand that this is largely based on your code, and 32-bit WinUAE seems to work fine with Wine too.

I might ask a few of questions of you which you may not recall. But then you might.

-Did you have do decompress the data containing the seed?
-Was it in the main executable or a data file or is the data stored as one big 880Kb block on floppy?
-would you happen to remember either/both where the seed is located both in the data and in the RAM?
-Did the new set of levels appear to have a difficulty curve as the standard ones did?
-And finally, was it just the one number that needed to be patched, or were there multiple seeds?

If I had a workable Amiga set-up at the moment I would find these things out for myself. But I have just sold my A1200 and have yet to set up my virtual Amiga system.

I also like the idea of using the way the Captive uses smaller images to make up a number of larger images and think I would like to also have many more monster types somehow. You'd still have the same number of enemy types for each level as the original, but if you could patch the image data then there's entire families of monsters that could be created just using the default sprite generation routines and making use of the capacity of a hard drive.

And then there's the concept of somehow combining the plot from Liberation:Captive 2 to create some kind of modern open-world game for the Amiga,

But these other ideas I have just mentioned are a bit more unrealistic and require much more work. Right now I'm just interested in adding an RNG to the seed. Or possibly creating a few preset seeds which seem to have a nice flow.

Page generated in 0.06562 seconds with 11 queries