View Single Post
Old 10 September 2021, 11:04   #18
ali-b

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmiBoy View Post
I may misunderstand things but I think that both Buffee and PiStorm are still being slowed down when data go through the Amiga custom chips.
I don't have intimate knowledge of the Amiga bus protocol (nor how PiStorm interacts with the bus) but I would imagine that the custom chips can only operate so fast. So in that regard, yes comms between the "CPU" and the custom chips will be limited by the custom chips data transfer rates. but that would be the same for any accelerator without replacing/emulating the custom chips too. So no, there is no plan to just use the amiga as a chassis to provide power and then emulate everything else. The Pistorm is only emulating the CPU and providing a few extra 32-bit side peripherals like Z3 RAM, RTG and Pi-SCSI. (oh and AHI soon too, well already partially) and Buffee is planning on providing fewer peripherals. Just CPU and RAM as they are aiming to be more of a "pure" CPU emulator and be more platform agnostic (though there are efforts for putting PiStorm into 68000 Macs, ST's and X68000 machines)

Page generated in 0.05481 seconds with 11 queries