View Single Post
Old 16 November 2021, 17:51   #22
h0ffman

This is the reason why I still use ProTracker 2.3D because I'm confident it's going to sound the same when it gets into the game.

Turns out I've now run out of original source material to do renditions of now as the original game only has 2 in-game tunes and 2 boss tunes for a total of 8 levels. So all music from here on in has to be original. I posted the Level 3 music on Twitter last night.

https://twitter.com/djh0ffman/status...86929309011974

Looking at the video you might be wondering how I'm going to squeeze a 300k+ module into the game. Well the size on this is misleading as it contains loads of unused samples and patterns.

Dev stuff...

I've built a tool which collects all the modules for the game, optimises and removes anything unused. it then builds a sample bank so samples can be shared between the modules at no extra cost. it can even have the same sample in the same module without using extra chip ram, just adds the reference when the game code rebuilds it in memory. I "think" this one takes about 90k of chip ram for samples.

Oh and all the samples have been 4bit delta compressed making them half in size. When an tune in-game is needed, all the samples are uncompressed from fast ram to chip, pattern data gets unpacked and all the samples get referenced in the replayer.

Page generated in 0.08793 seconds with 11 queries