View Single Post
Old 26 February 2021, 10:14   #10
scrappysphinx

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesta_smsc View Post
I was just reading about this and apparently mod on Super Nintendo to allow Super Famicom games to work... this is very tempting to have original hardware but currently I've gone into emulation. Does it come with original box and manuals etc? I'll keep a watch on this thread!
Super Famicom will play Japanese and US games without mod as they use the same CIC lockout chip, the only difference is the physical cartridge shape (Japanese being the same shape as PAL, US being rectangular). If you want to play PAL games thats where you need a mod to come in.

They used a different CIC for PAL games. There is a simple mod you can perform which disables the CIC and this will work for a few games but some others will throw up an error.

A better mod is the SuperCIC which is a replacement CIC chip by ikari01 which replaces the onboard CIC with a pic 16f630 programmed with new code.

It has 3 modes, forced 50hz, forced 60hz and automatic which will detect the region of the inserted game and set the system to the corresponding mode automatically.

You can do a DIY install like this

Or you can buy nicer looking pcb's such as

Page generated in 0.06194 seconds with 11 queries