Thread: PFS3 or FFS?
View Single Post
Old 18 January 2022, 18:34   #11
jbenam
Italian Amiga Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
I've been using SFS for more than 20 years on many of my Amiga and AROS OS and it never invalidated a Hardisk/HardFile, in my opinion SFS is the most stable filesystem not for nothing also used by OS4 and MOS.

PFS is the fastest but for me who loves speed it creates problems when I do fast reboots, where the last files copied or the last settings are not saved, to avoid this I always have to wait before a reboot and then check if everything went well, all this takes me away a lot of time

with SFS I have the same speed and I don't have to wait anything before rebooting

FFS created too many invalidations in the past so I don't use it anymore.
I have a friend who had all kind of issues with SFS - lost partitions, corruptions when copying data, etc... Every available SFS recovery tool didn't work. On top of that Mounter on OS3.2 didn't even mount the SFS partitions. No issues with PFS3 or FFS.

Both AROS and OS4 use modified and/or updated versions of SFS which aren't available on OS3.X.

FFS certainly did its fair share of invalidations back in the OS3.1 days, but it's a lot stabler now.

I use PFS3AIO and FFS (I started using it with 3.1.4+) and I have never faced the files not being saved issue. I always wait around 3-4 seconds from the last write as a good measure, but I do that on my other retro systems as well (like MS-DOS PCs), it's just a good practice to do to avoid issues.

Page generated in 0.04866 seconds with 11 queries