View Single Post
Old 16 May 2021, 20:35   #8
Foebane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steril707 View Post
Timeline of the video. Or how you call that thing where you can click to show the video at that point of time you want.
I always used to call them "progress sliders".

Quote:
But why? Demos are a highly controlled scenario compared to games where you have to deal with user input, and are usually made up of look up tables that are prerendered in tools usually coded on a PC, doing effects that have been usually done better 30 years ago.
True, and I can spot a mile off which logos are hand-drawn and which are simply processed images, but it's not just Amiga demos that are affected, I've seen several C64 demos that obviously look like they've been developed on PC tools, and no doubt other platforms too. I wouldn't say they don't put in the effort like they did in the past, they just do it differently. But most things are done on PC these days, anyway.

Quote:
What's making it worse is, that in AGA60 demos the Amiga chipset isn't really used most of the time, and stuff gets rendered into a buffer that's translated via C2P in the end. The only reason I see that this category is still existing is, that it's kind of a protected niche so people there don't have to compete with the big guns in PC territory.
I remember there was a big controversy when Amiga demos started looking like PC demos in the late 1990s, and a boycott by some groups of AGA when it came out. But the Amiga chipset is still used for some demos, and I've seen demos with detailed 3D objects and amazing Copper effects, and those C2P effects use sprites for the overlays.

Quote:
I concur that there are some nice tracker productions in demos, but so there are in modern Amiga games.
Oh, don't get me wrong, many tunes I heard in the video were quite catchy, and I have in the past collected Amiga games for the soundtracks alone, but for some works like Chris Huelsbeck, getting hold of the non-MOD formats is quite tough.

Quote:
So yeah, I think what the Amiga demo scene puts out is vastly overblown and overhyped because of nostalgic reasons. With some notable exceptions, though.
To each his own.

Quote:
I am a lot more impressed by what Metro Siege tries to accomplish than what I have seen over the last few years in Amiga demos on Revision and others. With the notable exception of EON, that is. Which, as Photon has stated, is basically a huge LUT. But I don't care, it looks, sounds amazing, and gives me the feels.
Imagine it done on AGA60, though(!)

Page generated in 0.05158 seconds with 11 queries