View Single Post
Old 17 November 2021, 08:23   #2
Marce
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by guybrush View Post
I am thinking about how the Amiga 1200 keyboard is actually working: the signal is coming from the keyboard chip, and the IC get that signal and knows that the key pressed is for example A, because it receive the hexadecimal code from the keyboard chip.

But what if I want to change that "table" that the Amiga use; so if I send a different hex code I can assign it to a different key? Would that be possible ?

You may ask why you want to do that... And the question is totally legit. I want to use a keyboard that is not made for the Amiga. I can use a keyboard adapter of course, but those are responding to hex values sent by PS2 or USB keyboards. What if I want to use home as Amiga key, or Pause as Help button? I can't do that because the USB or PS2 adapter is not coded to do that; and to my knowledge, no adapter allow you to modify what you get from the PC keyboard; they just assume that what is on the Amiga keyboard match 1:1 with the PC keyboard, and for Del and Home they pick 2 keys and call the day.

I would like instead to be able to control which keys from the PS2 or USB keyboard I trigger on the amiga, and this is why I started to look at how to achieve this on the Amiga itself. I assume that there is something on the ROM that tell the Amiga how to recognize keys, so there must be a way to override that and customize the association right? Even if it works only in Workbench that would be OK to be honest, but ideally I wish I could make this change to be booted when the Amiga boot up
perhaps you are looking for a program as KME which is a keymap editor?
around 2001-2002 I created a driver for spanish keyboards for winuae using such proggy

Page generated in 0.04465 seconds with 11 queries