Thread: AGA or RTG
View Single Post
Old 23 August 2021, 19:32   #2
Jpor
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
AGA. We love it, or love to say it wasn't enough, but it was the best Amiga would deliver.

This April 1994 issue of Amiga World I'm looking at has an article called "10 AGA Fixes for non-AGA owners". Oh sure, Graphic Cards and DCTV or a new 1200 motherboard in your A500 with some hacking.

One of the things I want for some reason is RTG in my 68K equipped 1200. Just feels like some type of a single slot Zorro II expansion would let me throw a graphic card into the 1200 case with maybe at most the floppy removed, no towering wanted or needed.

But then I started thinking...do I really NEED RTG on the Amiga? Painting in 256 colours is fun enough and sufficient. Maybe I'm just being silly wanting RTG and 16.7 million colours. For what? Most of the software is at best AGA, so it's really painting and other content creative applications that will only use it. There is a beauty in being restricted to colours as well. And my 24 dot-matrix colour won't output these colours anyway. So...what's the point?

And so, is my pursuit of RTG on Amiga 1200 flawed? Should we just enjoy AGA as the most Amiga offered and be happy?
I thought like you once. The thing is RTG is great but you still need AGA for the gaming aspect. Sure if you want a pure Amiga experience then you can use the standard screen modes etc.. But at the cost of the ChipRAM.
You can fit a RTG solution to a desktop case but you will need to modify and make allowances for heat and extra power and the money for the setup. I’m talking about the Phase 5/DCE Blizzard 603e and 603e+ Accelerator with either 68040 or 68060 with PPC and a add-on RTG card called the Bvision which is a Permedia2 chipset graphics card. These enhance your workbench desktop experience with 24-bit colour modes and saving on the precious chip RAM in your Amiga.
What I find useful with RTG is the Amiga Online web browsing experience with IBrowse and the clearer text experience.
It’s horses for courses.

Page generated in 0.07422 seconds with 11 queries