View Single Post
Old 27 April 2021, 22:58   #1
fehmi

Question REminiscence (Flashback engine) - Macintosh assets

I decided to play Flashback once again on my Windows 10 machine after I found out REminiscence http://cyxdown.free.fr/reminiscence/ can utilize the higher-res graphic assets (i.e. 512x448) of the Macintosh version. Otherwise, I can get the Windows SDL build working with data files from the GOG version and mod music from the Amiga version without any problems.

REminiscence readme states that:
Quote:
For the Macintosh release, the resource fork must be dumped as a file named 'FLASHBACK.BIN' (MacBinary) or 'FLASHBACK.RSRC' (AppleDouble).
I obtained the floppy disk and also the CD versions for the Mac - both came in SIT archives and I used StuffIt Expander to extract their contents. The floppy version only extracted a 100kb file even though the SIT archive is originally 6mb. I downloaded another copy of the floppy version from a different source but it extracted the same 100kb file. That is why I don't think the SIT archive is corrupt but I am not sure if I'm missing anything here either

The archive for the CD version spat out an IMG file I was able to open in HFSExplorer. However, it contains multiple folders and numerous small files, similar to the structure of the DOS version. Honestly, I am clueless about anything Mac related and have no idea how to dump the resource fork as instructed.

Has anyone successfully extracted / used the Mac assets with REminiscence?

Edit: After messing with nearly a bunch of apps claiming to support SIT archives on Windows (Stuffit Expander, Aladdin Expander, CompreXX, Universal Extractor 1.61), I finally got Universal Extractor 2 RC3 to extract the proper FLASHBACK.RSRC which works with REminiscence. I have also uploaded it to the Zone for anyone who is interested.

You will need to create data folder in REminiscence's directory and place the Mac resource fork in the data folder. You can also download the mod music of the Amiga version from Exotica and place it under data\music folder. One last thing is the voice file from the Sega CD version which needs to go in the data folder - I uploaded that to the Zone, as well. However, I have not tested whether Amiga music or Sega CD voices actually work when combined with the Mac assets.

Edit 2: Amiga mod files are neither used nor needed with the Mac version - music plays during the cut scenes without any additional files. However, Sega CD speech file works just fine.

Last edited by fehmi; 01 May 2021 at 17:48. Reason: added Mac resource fork & Sega CD voice file

Page generated in 0.07523 seconds with 11 queries