Thread: AGA or RTG
View Single Post
Old 24 August 2021, 16:25   #13
YouKnowWho
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
Everyone has different needs and wants. You seem to be entirely unsure of yours, but will nevertheless argue pointlessly with people who suggest anything contrary to your shakily held, fickle beliefs.

Personally, RTG is a massive deal, and using an Amiga limited to AGA always feels slow, cramped and clunky to me. But then, much of what I do isn't gaming, and I'm aware my use case isn't the same as everyone else's. In particular yours, which seems to be simply the opposite of what anyone else suggests, even if they themselves are opposite. In my case, my main A1200 and my A2000 both have RTG, and along with my A1, these give the nicest experience for me using system-friendly software. And while RTG games are very few in number, there are a couple of gems in there that might also run on AGA, but are far nicer on RTG.

For what it's worth, the Vampire RTG is quite limited in its capabilities; the Warp RTG is a nicer solution. Zorro-II solutions have quite low bandwidth that means some operations can be quite slow - slower than AGA even in some cases. PCI helps there, as does Zorro-III.

So, yes, you want RTG. And no, you don't want RTG. Pick whichever one you want.
That's a lot of good info. I remember my A2000 with Retina II fondly.

Warp RTG would fit in my thinking more...68K CPU maintained. Little disappointed that there isn't a RTG solution for A1200.

But as you rightly note, I have to start using my 1200 more and then decide if it is sufficient for my needs as it is. I actually find the slowness and waiting a bit of a ZEN thing. We have grown so impatient, so demanding, the wait is part of the authentic retro computing experience.

Page generated in 0.04524 seconds with 11 queries