Thread: HOL error
View Single Post
Old 12 August 2018, 20:37   #5
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to lilalurl
Regarding Eat the whistle, I have done a bit of testing.

I have used the HD installable disks found on the EAB server:
Eat the Whistle - France 98 v1.0 (1998-10-05)(Epic Marketing)(AGA)(Disk 1 of 4)[h HF][HD]

I have also grabbed the CD version, I'll test that later.

On disk 1, you can find HF-ETW.nfo (cracker/supplier info) which states AGA 4 Meg.

I tested the following:
  • 68020 AGA 2 MB chip and 4 MB Fast (my usual test configuration for AGA games): works fine
  • 68020 Full ECS 2 MB chip and 4 MB Fast: works fine too
  • 68020 AGA 2MB chip only: Got to the menus, launched Free Kick training sessions, after a bit of loading I got recoverable error and a bit after recovering a software failure.
  • 68010 Full ECS 2 MB chip and 4 MB Fast : Software Failure when starting the game

My guess (some EAB members with better technical knowledge might have a better idea) is that the game:
  • Needs 4 MB of RAM
  • Relies on some instructions found only on 68020s (or higher), which are not available on a 68010.

The AGA chipset does not seem to be needed.

But at the time I guess the 68020 + 4 MB requirements were available mostly on AGA machines (maybe some A3000 could have the required components?).

Edit: Hmmmm, reading the tripod page you linked to, I see it might be a bit more complicated than that, with the earlier versions having lower requirements. I'll need to test the CD version then. I hope it is an early version, because otherwise I don't know where to find an early version that could work with 1 MB of chip RAM.

Last edited by lilalurl; 12 August 2018 at 20:45.

Page generated in 0.04538 seconds with 11 queries