View Single Post
Old 10 June 2021, 11:54   #20
pandy71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucky View Post
I do not understand those who want well extra features in the chipset..
it would ONLY add incompability like we had when we got AGA etc.

and as that would require reprogramming software anyway why not "just" do it as an extra hardware? like RTG etc..

I just do not get it why it would be as a "chipset thing"
Very simple to explain - this is something we (Amiga users) expected to be done by Commodore and Commodore failed on many ways to do so.

Some of those features could be present since Amiga was born, some of those features added to ECS, AGA and expected later another versions of the chipset.

Having some standard and functionality present in every Amiga is a mandatory condition to make those features supported by software - especially now when so many new things is created for Amiga (thanks to technology progress) we need to have some uniformity, some standards to avoid Linux situation where you have many competing standards and wasted resources. So for example any new Amiga CPU should be compatible with Vampire ISA so software can be reused.

And incompatibility can be workarounded on many ways - at first it can be avoided by providing new functionality in parallel to already existing.
At some point Commodore should focus on using general I/O bus (PCI/PCIex) and for example provide backward compatibility by inserting video/audio as overlay to any GPU so it could be 100% HW/SW legacy compatible and at the same time open and capable to grow in future.
Technically feeding 60 - 80MBps over bus (even on PCI many years ago) could be easily done if done HW wisely.

Page generated in 0.07482 seconds with 11 queries