View Single Post
Old 15 January 2021, 10:26   #11
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikerochip View Post
Those two things don't go together!

Non microswitched connectors wear out quickly.

Microswitched ones wear out, but, can be easily swapped out for new ones, so you don't need to throw away the whole joystick.

Arcade machines had a few different kind of switches, but microswitches are the most common.

The JP designed ones don't click quite so badly, but then, the button itself makes the noise, rather than the switch.

You could also look at leaf switches but they're huge, by comparison, and far too spongy feeling in use for my taste.

Maybe a JP style Sanwa switch, with a rubber O ring around the joystick plastic to dampen the sound. No clue if that's even possible, really.

They do something similar with keyboard microswitches to change the sound and the key travel distance.
Ah, so not a lot has changed in all these years. Thanks, you've saved me doing the research. I always preferred the comfy, silent, Python-style joysticks, but know objectively they're the inferior option.

These days I tend to use an old Comp Pro Mega Drive pad rather than any joysticks at all, mostly because that's what I've left plugged in and it seems to be indestructible. Odd because there's little nostalgia in joypads for me personally.

Page generated in 0.04622 seconds with 11 queries