View Single Post
Old 15 May 2022, 17:49   #2986
reno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turran View Post
@reno

I did use rsync when we had an official mirror a while back. I'd be happy to do so again if someone wants to set a public mirror up. Just opening up rsync to everyone is not on the table as we have no use for another private copy on someones USB disk in a closet somewhere.
I suppose one thing you'd get from that, is to make it much more likely that multiple people will have full, always up to date offsite backups in case disaster strikes on your end, and can come to the rescue. As Linus Torvalds put it : "Backups are for wimps. Real men upload their data to an FTP site and have everyone else mirror it."

Bandwidth costs aside, is there another reason you wouldn't want to make it *too* easy to download the full packs ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turran View Post
As for rclone, I did switch the backup to JottaCloud (see link in first post). It supports rclone just fine. In fact, its what I use to sync to JottaCloud every night
Yes I saw that, but also that you were looking for another solution because of the 1000 files limitation ?

Besides, it looks like rclone doesn't support anonymous syncing from Jottacloud. It was the same with GDrive, but nearly everyone already has a Google account. I don't know if people would be able to create a Jottacloud account for free then access a shared folder like you could do with GDrive ?

Quote:
I have no problems if you write a guide for how to download the whole thing from JottaCloud using rclone. I'm sure all the anonymous ftp users would love it so they are not tempbanned from the ftp and website over and over for trying to leech the whole thing, heh.
If you're going to settle on JottaCloud and we find a way to solve the accounts/shared folder issue, sure !

Right now, I think the http plugin for rclone is actually a better solution. I did manage to update my Retroplay WHDLoad packs from your website using it. Definitely slower than GDrive but it was just 30 files or so since I last synced, so no big deal. I only had an issue with this demo : the "å" in the filename didn't get transcribed properly after downloading (it turned into "?E5"), and that crashed the HstWB "build_install_entries" Python script that I run in the end. I think the root cause is that your Apache server uses charset=ISO-8859-1 for text/html, instead of UTF-8.

Page generated in 0.04945 seconds with 11 queries