View Single Post
Old 22 January 2022, 11:19   #1573
milanca

Quote:
Originally Posted by vk3heg View Post
Milanca. The issue with hardware pass through (Intel: VTX-D) is that it's only supported on some motherboard chipset's and of course the cpu needs to have that support. Passing though the hardware isn't the issue. The issue you will face is that most modern boards that will have VTX-D support won't have pci slots, and only pci-e.
Hi Stephen. Yes of course, i understand all of these. Despite that I never actually used pci-passthrough i understand how it works and its hardware requirements. When you said that cpu needs to support it, of course, it is absolutely necessary but most of the cpus support it nowadays. VT-x/AMD-v as a virtualization technology refers to this particular cpu support. Without it even Qemu or VirtualBox will not work.

When it comes to VT-d, it stands for IOMMU (pci-passthrough), that's different thing. I am a bit disappointed by what you said that amoung many board you've found only few that actually support it. I have never tried it or had chance to test different boards. 'd' probably stands for direct as it enables directed I/O. My actual desktop motherboard is gigabyte's Z490M gaming x, z490 chipset, and in my bios it says:

Code:
VT-d
Enables or disables IntelĀ® Virtualization Technology for Directed I/O. (Default: Enabled)
Directly referring to IOMMU meaning it is supported (not tested though)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vk3heg View Post
The issue you will face is that most modern boards that will have VTX-D support won't have pci slots, and only pci-e.
Of course. That's why PCI-X to PCI bridge card is required to be able to use PCI card, in case when pci card is to be passed.

Its not much needed to be able to try it, just this bridge adapter card, and we'll know if its working or not.

Page generated in 0.04404 seconds with 11 queries