View Single Post
Old 12 January 2015, 22:52   #1
Arne
Hobby/Indie gamedev

[Ongoing] Blob Attack II

Hi! Long time lurker here with a project. I hope this is the right section (so many!).

Back in 1995, if I'm to believe the date of the files which survived, I made a simple TBS game using AMOS and released it informally among friends (no BBS access). Anyways, working on a sequel now, for the Amiga! I'm using AMOS Pro v1.12 installed from my originals on a 2.5inch IDE HDD that I'm moving between my A1200 (Blizzard 1220/4) and WinUAE via USB adapter.

Project page: Blob Attack II

Graphics WIP:

I'm using 12x12 tiles, but blitting speed isn't much of an issue with a TBS, I'm wagering. I'd like it to run on OCS so I might have to be careful when writing my retain mode draw-update routines though. 320x256 pixels. Hopefully I won't run into a tile count limit.

I saw someone else here (Metroid project guy) used my 16 color palette. It was made with black background graphics in mind but it might come out a bit dark using real hardware & CRT TV gamma. Easily adjusted anyways.

Milestone 1:
1) Get gfx loaded and tiles grabbed. Lots of coordinates! Use constants (seems to be none in AMOS) to keep track of significants offsets or it'll get messy. Photoshop saved IFFs sometimes doesn't load in DP (byte alignment bug?) so I might have to write a converter myself.

2) I've already extracted my old level data, plotted it using single pixels, and edited it in Photoshop to truncate it into the new playfield size (I like to edit maps as images). I'll probably write an image->byte file editor using BlitzMax on my Mac then load the resulting files in AMOS using BLOAD or whatever. I might make a pure editor in AMOS later.

3) Bring those two together with a basic map display routine.

That's it for now!

Page generated in 0.04273 seconds with 11 queries