View Single Post
Old 12 September 2014, 02:57   #23
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimaInCorpore View Post
Unfortunately I cannot link to the original discussion thread on the Atari-Forum where you can get more details about how the port was done. The AF webserver seems to have some serious problems and I hope that they'll sort it out soon.

However, the sources are disassembled and many important functions commented. The reassembled source runs natively on the X68000 again even with changes. So I was able to make a Pac-Mania trainer for the X68000.

The graphics emulation is done by putting "jsr" hooks in the source code where the sprites and background are being drawn on the Atari. The sound emulation was simply commented out.

The X68000 has indeed a decent sprite hardware but it is still limited by the fact that the memory mapped area of the sprite data is quite small. The games need to refresh that area to get all the sprites displayed so this results in either a DMA copy (Pac-Mania sprite animation) or caching (Galaga 88 compressed sprites) strategy.

What needs to be done for the Amiga port is to replace all the graphics functions and convert the graphics (sprites and backgrounds). This applies to the sound as well but that seems to be a far "simpler" task.

Cheers
Sascha
You mean convert the sprites as tiles to sprites frames right ?

Page generated in 0.04327 seconds with 11 queries