View Single Post
Old 09 December 2013, 21:02   #7
mark_k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Good luck finding ^10 test cases that call all normally used functions without requiring hours to finish
Yeah. Is there any way to script WinUAE so, for example, I could have a directory of demo ADF files which it automatically boots and runs for 10 mins each (say) before loading the next one? Setting up a test suite like that would be a pain, but less than having to do it all manually every time. And if it can be automated it wouldn't matter if it takes hours.

I might try using PGO, but only "train" it with one or two specific demos, then see if there's any noticeable change in CPU usage. Any recommendations for demos which need a lot of CPU power to emulate?

Quote:
It makes FPU emulation inaccurate.
I wonder whether it might be worth using #pragma float_control(...) for functions which don't require extreme accuracy (audio resampling maybe???) but forcing functions which should be as accurate as possible (like 68881/2 emulation) to use the precise behaviour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amilo3438 View Post
I have done some more tests and found some interesting case:

When running demo "Cylindric Scroll (Demo) by Concept" -> http://janeway.exotica.org.uk/release.php?id=6403

The "sse2_speed" version is the fastest one (86-88% in task manager) and "sse2_speed_fastFP" is the slowest one (88->90% in task manager) !!!
The fastFP executable is slightly larger than the non-fastFP one, which I wasn't expecting. [Is there a better way than Task Manager to assess CPU usage?]

Regarding the sound crackling with Sine Intro V1.0, if you change WinUAE audio settings does the crackling disappear or lessen? Maybe change sampling rate from 44100 to 48000 (or vice versa), set stereo separation to 100%, use a different interpolation method.

Quote:
http://www.winuae.net/files/b/winuae2.zip is MSVC 2013 (same optimizations as in OP) + SSE2 + __fastcall compiled.
What did you change to allow compiling with __fastcall? When I tried changing the winuae project properties from__stdcall to __fastcall I got a lot of linker errors, where it was looking for __fastcall type functions in the linker libraries (for zlib, 7z etc.)

Page generated in 0.04715 seconds with 10 queries