Thread: B.C. Kid
View Single Post
Old 19 September 2013, 14:06   #2
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

Thumbs up BC Kid uses a double map

BC Kid is a little tricky I'm afraid which is why the search isn't working. Basically it's a double map game.

Firstly, the tiles for the first map have to be arranged as 1 across by 2 down when drawn. They are stored as words, but only the lower byte is used, so the mask needs to be $ff to ignore the high byte. When you do this at $36818, you will see the larger tiles (32x32) appear. You must set the "Actual tile size" at the bottom of the Map tab to display 32x32, otherwise the secondary map will still think they are 16x16s.

Now you have to activate the second map tab, which is storing the tiles as bytes vertically (just like Turrican 2 - by the same Factor 5 team) and that will assemble the map. The practice level happens to be 16 bytes tall by 127 wide, and then you'll see the level appear. There's one extra byte wide which almost belongs to the map, scroll it around and you'll see. (The game probably abuses the extra column to avoid having to worry about blitting objects off the edges).

In my long term plans is an improved search to help find these kinds of maps, but I have a lot of more important stuff to finish first. These kind of games you sometimes need a little luck and a lot of practice to find the double maps.

I imagine all the other levels are similar, but you'll have to locate the first map before hunting for the second one. Attached is an INI file to get you going.

A few other things:

1. You're using a cracked version and there appears to be some corrupt graphics in it (eg. when facing the character left). I would always use an SPS version or WHDLoad version as the games are not likely to have problems that way.

2. In the Map Search, you should always use the far right button to remove colours from your picture that are not in the tiles. It avoids a lot of pain!

3. In WinUAE, you can get a much cleaner screenshot by disabling sprites. Hit Shift-F12, type "Ms 0" and then "x" and Enter. Now take your screenshot without all the extra junk. It'll make matching a whole lot easier. To return the sprites, use "Ms ff" instead.
Attached Files
File Type: zip BCKid_Practice.zip (917 Bytes, 410 views)

Page generated in 0.06895 seconds with 12 queries