View Single Post
Old 24 February 2013, 19:41   #90
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Arrow

Quote:
Often is quite a relative term. While some coders might have done this I'm quite sure the majority just used normal compression
Heh. I should have added that I mainly rummaged around on disks I didn't need to rip to files first, i. e. ADOS ones, which mostly only contained easily convertible .IFFs.

Quote:
specially when things like (bilinear) filtering would have taken much too long on a plain 68000 A500.
Oh my. I was mainly referring to these kinds of images used in pre-1990 games (my most active days). You can't associate this way of thinking to HAM, EHB or other kinds of "higher-quality" images (e. g. Starbyte's Tie-Break title screen, intl. version). The ones I speak of would just use a "household" number of bitplanes and be satisfied with a simple pixel resize.

Nevertheless, may I repeat again: it was just a theory. Whilst it could as well have made sense because this is old hardware notorious for having its "little imperfections" here and there (same as with e. g. vintage analog synthesizers).
Alright, although finding an example may take some time, I WILL surely find one, since on my side, rummaging on disks usually goes in line with adventure games I am stuck in; adventure games using static pictures, that is. My "discovery" was that once I had started searching for an in-game screen ( = picture) giving me a hint on how to continue in the game, I was like... yikes! When I pulled that off the disk, it turned out ridiculously small...oversized postage stamp size, so to speak!
Not until I doubled the size, it looked the same as in the game.

Last edited by andreas; 24 February 2013 at 20:13.

Page generated in 0.08186 seconds with 11 queries