Thread: DemoDVD Project
View Single Post
Old 11 August 2001, 18:19   #4
RCK
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by s4murai
I dunno... it's not the real thing... and how would you access any secret parts?

For me, demos are still something like art which can be made on (& played) on computer only.
too easy answer for me
I have a LOT of oldshool demos that CAN'T run anymore on my local computers...
and I would really like to see them again. (even if i can't access secret part, etc ...)

Quote:
Overview
This project has a very focused scope: To create a Video DVD of various demos (underground demoscene demos, not product or game demos).

An obvious question after reading the above would be, "Why on earth would anyone want to do that when you can just run the demo?" Good question:
  • You can't always just run the demo. Some older demos were written to require hardware or software standards that are no longer widely available (Gravis Ultrasound, LPT DAC / Covox, 386 self-modifying code, real mode vs. EMS vs. XMS, ET4000 chipset-specific tricks, etc.), so making an MPEG of the demo on a hardware configuration that actually works is the only way some people will get to see it.
  • A DVD of the video allows people with DVD players to play the videos on their television for some acid-trippy/nostalgic/appreciative/eye-candy fun.
  • Popping a DVD of the video into a PC or DVD player is a very quick way to show non-scener friends what demos are like (or newer sceners what older demos were like) without the hassle of finding the demo, rebooting and reconfiguring your PC, and working out sound card hassles.
Although DVD mastering and end-user costs are higher than videotape, DVD was chosen as the distribution medium over videotape for several reasons:
  • DVDs have the possibility to hold more than 2 hours of high-quality video, while videotapes are limited to two hours of medium-quality video.
  • Encoding the DVD as NTSC video ensures the widest possible audience (this is because most set-top DVD players all over the world can decode and display NTSC). Most PAL VCRs, on the other hand, can't play NTSC tapes.
  • A "Hybrid" DVD can be made, which means that the demos themselves can be included on the DVD-ROM data track. This is an extra bonus without any additional cost (a CDROM would've been necessary to distribute with a videotape to provide the same service).

Page generated in 0.04504 seconds with 11 queries