View Single Post
Old 21 September 2012, 20:45   #1
vasco_matias

A1200 rev 1D4 NTSC motherboard to PAL conversion

Hello dear Amiga enthusiasts,

I have recently bought an new A1200 mobo to replace a malfunctioning one I had on my A1200.

However, since a PAL (like my old one) is not so easy to find (out of stock), and knowing there was a hardware hack available to convert the NTSC to PAL (disconnect Alice's pin 41 from mobo), I ordered a NTSC board.

As soon as the board arrived, I unwelded pin 41 hoping to get my machine to boot in PAL mode per default. This seems to be the case, however I'm afraid something went wrong: I get no color (black/white) and vertical stripes on the screen (and jumpy image sometimes).

If I select a NTSC screen-mode on WB it all works fine (color-wise), but my WHDLoad games (PAL) do still have a problem.

I have read all the threads I could fine here on the topic, and I'm a bit confused :

-sometimes it is mentioned that the lift-up pin 41 needs to be connected to +5V with a 4k7 resistor;

-sometimes it is mentioned that lifting pin 41 suffices (no need for resistors or +5V). Furthermore, Paulo_Becas has performed this hack this way (simply lifting 41) a couple of times, including on a 1D4 board, and has been successful in getting PAL. I've read about several other people that were also successful in it;

This without having to replace the crystal NTSC/PAL...

I really don't know what's going on, especially because I have the same revision (1D4)... the only difference I can state is that my Alice chip has another reference number: 391010-01 8374-ALICE 3593 23 than Paulo's...

Can someone please shed some light on what I'm doing wrong? what do I need to do to get my PAL games and everything working with my new mobo?

Thanks

Page generated in 0.04413 seconds with 11 queries