View Single Post
Old 20 January 2011, 11:15   #95
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorham View Post
Certainly, but that's not easy when you're new to this dungeon
You can do whatever you want when you're still Theron (hint, hint).

Quote:
Good I actually have somewhat of a problem with this, too. Always thinking 'Am I writing too much?'...
Some parts may be difficult to guess. For these, a hint scroll in the game is better suited, but, of course, i need to know what's difficult for other players.

Quote:
Eh, yes, I mean increased bandwidth usage

It's actually a 29 Khz mode (in 94 Hrtz I get max: 672x562 interlaced). Could it be because of the way you emulate the Atari ST screen (how does that work again?)? It's probably not easy to make it completely native, is it (or perhaps not worth it)?
Atari ST screen emulation is done in a quite lousy manner, by cpu in the vertical blank interrupt server. Takes 35% of 030's power (ST screen is in fastmem, but you still have to write to chipmem, which is problematic for 28Mhz pixel speed). Now it's no longer done when loading the game, to make loading faster.

I'm considering using normal screen format, but all gfx routines will have to be rewritten. Somewhat problematic is the fact they don't know the gfx's height (not needed on the ST), so with regular bitplanes this info is missing (it's present in DM Amiga, but this code isn't of regular hunk format and a pain to disassemble).

Quote:
Last but not least, I've got a question in the good old coding thread for you (off-topic here).
Off-topic ? Not so much, and it's better for me to stay here. That old thread is a little bit, say, bloated (large messages, do you remember ?).

So here it comes.

Quote:
Hi meynaf, got a couple of questions for ya

1) I've been looking through your system frame, and I have to ask why you don't use LVO includes? Isn't something like:
Code:
    jsr     _LVOOpenLibrary(a6)
a lot more readable than:
Code:
    jsr     -552(a6)
or am I missing something?
You'll notice that it's not exactly what i'm writing.
Rather :
Code:
 jsr -$228(a6)      ; OpenLibrary
And it's more readable this way.

Of course, my DM uses my system frame

Quote:
2) I've recently switched from AsmOne to Phxass+FrexxEd (finally power editing! That editor sure is overkill ), and I want to keep using AsmOne for debugging. Anything to watch out for that AsmOne screws up that Phxass doesn't?
Phxass produces better code than AsmOne and has full 020+ support. AsmOne wouldn't assemble my DM code anyway.

Quote:
3) A good while ago you told me you use MEmacs as your editor. What I want to know is why? Surely there are better (freeware) editors out there you can use? Or do you just like it spartan
Better editors ? Perhaps, but much larger then.
MEmacs' macro system rocks. Or maybe I'm just used to it

I'm using this editor to edit my dungeons, too

Page generated in 0.05538 seconds with 11 queries