View Single Post
Old 18 March 2009, 14:52   #1
asm1

Joystick surgery... Microswitches fun

Got a second QS II Turbo Joystick this morning, since my first was a rather nasty Sigma Replica effort. The stick itself is in good nick, and feels nice and tight (ahem) . On testing, it would appear to work fine except for the top fire button. Being an inquisitive soul, I split the joystick and had a look.

First thing I noticed was that the top Microswitch lacked a spring, which obviously was causing things not to work. Fine, so I thought I'd cannibalise the spring off the other stick. Duly done, I got everything back together, and was rewarded with a satisfying *clicky clicky* noise from the top button.

However, in games the top trigger still didn't work.
So, I took it apart again and discovered that there was a wire loose.

I am now at the stage where I'm about to take a trip to maplins and replace the two trigger microswitches. However I'm not sure how to wire things all up again when I get back (yes I know I have a soldering Iron)

Looking at the stick, 3 wires come up from the base.

Black and orange go to the front trigger. and a Red goes to the top button. There appears to be another short red wire (which was connected to one of the microswitches) but has come off completely. I'm guessing this was to connect the two switches together ?

The good thing I suppose is that the top microswich has come loose (or was never connected) so I can take that with me when I go to maplins. Yes it seems a lot of hassle but I like the stick . Pics will be posted when I recharge my phone....

Andrew

Page generated in 0.04362 seconds with 10 queries