Thread: Soldering hints
View Single Post
Old 13 September 2008, 19:33   #90
Charlie
. . Mouse . .

Desoldering question:
After many years of modding computers with power tools for the last few months I've been doing soldering in a small / semi-competent way...

...Among the things I bought from Amigakit a few days ago was a 60mhz dil-8 oscillator + a couple of matching sockets.

Now, the job is neatly done even though I say so myself but it took ages & I wonder if there is a better way - especially given the 'technique' I used would never work on a package with more than 4 pins. Also the process seems to have killed the original 50mhz oscillator...

What I did:
-Apply soldering iron to each pad in turn. Melt solder & suck away as much as possible.
->This did not free any of the pins, just less solder.
-Next I gently pushed a flat-head screwdriver in between PCB & oscillator. While giving that a gentle twist I used the iron to repeatedly remelt the solder on each pin in turn & sort-of walked it out of the PCB.
->Nice 'n neat, no PCB damage, but took quite a while & I suspect the repeated heating is what killed the old oscillator.
-Insertion of the dil-8 socket was a reversal of that process. Nice result, no damage, but took a while.
->60mhz oscillator plugged into that.

As it's much smaller than my Blizzard '060 this 'practice' was done with the ARM3 upgrade card for my A3000 as it's size made it easier the handle...
...compared to Blizzard boards these cards are like rocking-horse poo - so no pressure then!

I'm glad to say it's still working, and a bit faster for the new oscillator. I can't help feeling there's a better way that's less likely to result in dead components.

Back to Amigakit for an oscillator for my Blizzy...

Thoughts? Thanks.

FYI:
-My intention is only to mildly overclock my Blizzy 'because I can' as it's got an old '060 in it which may be prone to cooking - Also I don't want the SCSI card to pack up.
-My ARM 3 is a 25mhz jobbie now running @ 30mhz. Again a bit conservative but as my card has an FP10 FPU which don't like too much overclocking & are again like rocking-horse poo compared to standard ARM3 upgrade boards...
-An ARM3 is very roughly as fast per clock as an 060...

Last edited by Charlie; 13 September 2008 at 19:39.

Page generated in 0.04697 seconds with 11 queries