View Single Post
Old 02 August 2008, 14:44   #75
Charlie
. . Mouse . .

Hmmm, apologies.
As usual I'm causing confusion by answering a different question from the one asked...

...It shouldn't make any difference to making a boot-cd what ...ird.gz images are used.

From memory (getting increasingly poor) the included files in 'my archives' have a 'normal' bigird.gz. The smallird.gz however has a patched K.S. image - I think I shoved Piru's K.S. patch + the Powerwindows NG patch in there.

(I think I also made an unsuccessful attempt @ fixing the native Fat95 support - no biggie)

IMO: Piru's K.S. patch is more stable + faster than the 3.9 versions - Regardless, you can have both:
Turn off the relevant setpatch modules on boot for 'Piru' or leave alone for '3.9'.

Now, back to the problem:
-You *should* be able to use any bigird.gz image you like for a new boot CD. (not bad considering the default is a bit cr*p)
-Gary's kernel should work fine in a boot CD but there are a few potential 'gotchas'.

-I use GRUB (recommended) for HD-install but the isolinux on the boot cd uses lilo.
You'll need to edit the lilo config from the cd to match the equivalent boot settings for Gary's kernel for bigird.gz on the HD-install. The main trick is Gary's kernel uses much more memory than standard so those will be the areas to concentrate on. (Boing-ball stage of boot will fail)
-Next, you will have noticed that the 'native kernels' are compressed ie (...gz) while Gary's are not. I suspect this is where you home-rolled cd is tripping up - I suspect the isolinux on the cd is trying to uncompress the already uncompressed kernel & making a hash of it.
Two potential cures would be to gzip your copy of Gary's kernel prior to putting onto your CD or track down the switch (probably in lilo) that is telling the computer to uncompress & remove it.
-Don't forget: Gary's later kernels rely somewhat on the Amiga-side updates included in Gary's archive(s). Not relevant to your current problem, but may cause trouble if not addressed in the bigird.gz you intend to include on your CD.

FWIW:
If you haven't already; have you tried making a CD from first:
-The standard bits from an original CD just to make sure you've got the process correct?
-Used one of Bernie's later kernels prior to using Gary's? They are a little more system-friendly than Gary's & may still include (just) enough support for your plans.

P.S.
Don't forget to include a copy of SFS somewhere (possibly added to bigird.gz). Pre-installed if you're feeling up to it, or as an Amiga-side archive - your users really don't want to be using FFS on their HD-partitions!
Yes, I still think PFS is better but is a swine to install reliably under Amithlon.

I hope that's got you in the right direction,
Regards.

Page generated in 0.04246 seconds with 11 queries