View Single Post
Old 01 April 2008, 22:56   #30
jotd
This cat is no more

ripping CE maps

Hi,

I have found the way level maps are stored from the CD32 version.

The files x1CHAOS.CAS (x = E -> P) contain level data. The file is split in sections.

At offset 0x40 you find width and height of the map, then 0x200 (I would say max tile index), then a 16 bit word containing the altitude and the tile code.

The tile code seems to be coded from 0x0 to 0x1FF. The rest of the value is the altitude.

The problem is that tile code has almost no relation with the order of the tiles in the Ultron rip. I had to do a conversion table (which took me ages because I had to compare tiles to actual screenshots).

The problem is: all tiles are not ripped. A lot of them are missing. For instance, all wall tiles containing pipes are missing. I ripped some from the original game, but that's too tedious if some more unripped tiles arise.
And I'm not talking about other worlds of this level, where further tiles are loaded (the big pipes where some monsters appear).

Anyway, here's a sample of my work. I have tried GfxRip and GfxRip deluxe and failed to rip anything. I lack experience.
If someone can come up with a full rip of level 2 tiles (I understand that all 4 levels must be ripped and the tiles must be gathered, with possible dupes, but I already saw that in Gods and managed OK), I'll try to complete it (and HOL will have the level maps for this game, and second step: I'll try to code a remake for this game).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	level_21.png
Views:	1113
Size:	344.3 KB
ID:	16297   Click image for larger version

Name:	level_22.png
Views:	1835
Size:	208.0 KB
ID:	16298  
Attached Files
File Type: txt map_writer_cpp.txt (8.5 KB, 444 views)

Page generated in 0.04922 seconds with 12 queries