View Single Post
Old 09 April 2024, 14:53   #49
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Richter View Post
How do you know? I don't. It is a negative file size. Whatever that will mean to some programs.
It is negative if you think it is negative. Else it is 4294967295.

Quote:
You seem to assume that this size is just used for display purposes, but that might be wrong. It could be used to estimate the amount of buffering required to copy a file, just to give one example - and that could be outright wrong. It could be outright confusing - -1 divided by the block size, well, probably rounded up - zero buffers required - boom.
Normally a coder should know a file size is an unsigned number...

Quote:
But not everything can be done without breaking something. That is a design "based on assumptions", but whether that may be true or not ... who knows. I do not claim that I would know.
Nothing will break, as long as big files are not used with such old software.

Quote:
The limit is actually 30 characters, and personally never run into a particular problem with 30 characters. Volume, assign and device names are still limited to 30 characters. The limit is actually per component, the maximum path lenth is actually 255 characters.
Some file systems support names much larger than 30. This is when the problem happens : software reserves buffer for 30, and...

Page generated in 0.04587 seconds with 11 queries