View Single Post
Old 09 January 2024, 01:27   #29
remz

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosgod View Post
Amazing work as always - though this goes to a whole different level! I genuinely thought that I was looking at a SNES or PCE game when I first saw the video, before noticing your trademark Hamulet character Amy. If only Commodore had the brains to market this capabilities to game developers back in 1985...

Having said that, I have a few questions after seeing this demo:
  1. I'm curious how you solve the fringing issue for Blitter vs background... is it because they are manually positioned in such way that it doesn't fringe with the background? Or you can place those Blitters anywhere and your program automatically solve the fringing problem?
  2. Does your HAM6 Blitter have the same movement restriction as your multiplexed sprite (i.e. they can only move sideways?) Or do you think you'll be able to move them around the screen with no issues at all?
  3. What are your plans on dealing with all the memory that these gigantic HAM6 Blitter gobble up?
  4. Do you do all the artwork yourselves? That's some really amazing pixel art skills!

Thank you and again, really great work. Glad to see someone is still pushing the limits of the OCS Amiga instead of skipping over to AGA (which a lot of people seem to be doing nowadays, sadly)
I'll answer the tech questions here:
1) As guessed by ovale and jobbo, the ham bobs include the background, so in their current state, they are mostly stationary. It would be possible however to have a moving bob with some clever restrictions on the background. But at this stage, this was mostly just a test of HAM animation.

2) With the proper background, for example a large 'boss enemy' moving over a transparent sky gradient background, the HAM bob could move freely both vertically and horizontally.

3) Memory wise, probably only 'large bosses' would potentially use a HAM bob. The other idea I had (for possibly a future project) would be on the CD32: using the CD as a massive storage for animated HAM bobs.

4) Oh no, for Hamulet I either bought or commissioned some of the pixel art, and here for this HAM bob test, I used graphics from the game Bzzzt, from the game Super Mutant Alien Assault, from Pixilart, and from Metal Slug.

Thank you everyone for your comments and ideas! Now, back to work..

p.s.: Regarding Gzegzolka's question: This test is a bit of a 'stress test' to stretch the limit. The metal slug truck is so big (144x170 pixels: that's 18360 bytes per frame) that it can make the game skip a frame when horizontal scrolling.

p.p.s: trivia: the truck is 170 pixel tall, because this is the tallest vertical size that the Amiga blitter can do in HAM interleaved mode

Page generated in 0.04355 seconds with 10 queries