View Single Post
Old 25 June 2023, 17:26   #30
giantclam

...So one place I haven't gone yet with amiberry, would actually be it's preferred environment...on the console, tossing SDL straight at the framebuffer device, and not running a Xserver at all. In practice a lot of the configurata holds true for console usage, just as it works in X ... and I was thinking this'd be one of the easier routes to 'boot to Workbench' so to speak....

...just for testing, I set all this up in the user's .bash_profile to call the helper script 'ClassicWb' which launches amiberry with the associated config file...login ; hello classicwb.

Then I start doing typically bad things like the equivalent of hot-swapping hard-drives on a real Amiga ..I've actually hit F12 to get to the amiberry GUI, and if you keep an eye on the 'Resume' button bottom-right, you'll notice it greys out just after I mount the hard-disk ; that's the emulator crashing =)

Not to worry, hit F12 again and classicwb boots up again, with the new drive present, and we have a quick look at it...figured it out yet? <grin> ... /dev/sdc is a 16gb USB flashdrive on the linux host --> in the Amiga guest, it's a 500mb removable drive...in fact, in the emulator it sort of appears as a bootable floppydrive .... you see when I open the drive, that's exactly what I've been using it for...ie; lha disk archives on aminet with C/ S/ dirs meant to be copied to bootable floppy. It's a deplorable waste of drivespace, but I've got a whole bunch of 256/512mb usdcards, and I was just looking at the idea of being able to put a whole bunch of disk archives on a drive like this, with an menu so you can select which sus to use...and it looks like it'd work...

...anything links can do in X it can do on console...one just has to remember to toggle the run in console widget (but not save the change as it messes with X...unless you do console all the time =) This all works, you can launch from midnight-commander as well. In the HDF directory, I have the Cannon Fodder cd32 cue/iso files ~ so easy to deal with..

[ Show youtube player ]

Page generated in 0.04227 seconds with 10 queries