View Single Post
Old 17 March 2023, 16:38   #1
ImmortalA1000

Which Amiga would you recommend to people to buy?

I was watching Pixel Vixens #2 spot of '12 days of Amiga' which she placed the OCS A500 at. This would make the A1200 here #1 Amiga on balance.

This isn't about technically the best, most expandable, or cheapest but a combination of the three I guess along with what you would do with the machine.

So if somebody just wanted to play Amiga games on a CRT TV with a Zipstik etc I would actually put the OCS A500 as number 1 as it easily runs more games than any other machines and you can add extra drives and some extra RAM for all but the 1mb Chip RAM requiring games. It's the cheapest option too. There really isn't that many AGA must have games at all, can't think of an AGA exclusive game either apart from Gloom for a stock A1200/CD32 that I would like or having Lotus III with the superb frame rates of Lotus II.

If you want to do more on the productivity/creative side an A1200 is better as not only do you have the built in IDE port but you also get to play around with AGA graphics for pixel art and animation. The 2mb Chip RAM is also very useful for having high quality samples for your music projects. Before things like PiStorm CPU socket accelerators for A500 I would have said easier to get a small speed boost via something like a 1220/4 (with the option of another 4mb daughterboard) but perhaps that's not really part of it.

Obviously I have all sorts of machines, well all of them except an A3000, and if you want to play polygon games an A4000/040 is a nice place to start but this is not really what the topic is about. I can't think of any must have CD32 or CDTV games either come to think it. So personally I would say for Joe Public just wanting to relive their computer gaming youth I think a 1mb A500 with an external drive and a decent CRT TV is a good place to start, an A1200 is a good step up from that if you need AGA or want to play around with things like Wordsworth (there was an Amiga Format coverdisk for 2mb A1200 I seem to remember finding a few days ago in my stash of disks).

How about you?

Page generated in 0.05349 seconds with 11 queries