View Single Post
Old 06 December 2022, 19:35   #9
Bruce Abbott

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalA1000 View Post
I bought a 486 PC around the same time I got my launch day A1200... I did want the HDD equipped A1200 but none were available in the stores (was a massive problem back then early on IIRC, 95% of A1200s shipped were not HDD equipped but stores wanted them and so did customers).
Supply of all A1200s was limited at first. But adding a hard drive wasn't difficult.

RAM and accelerator boards took a bit longer to be developed, so you would have to wait for them. Which was good because it gave you time to save up, and in the mean time you got a good feel for how well a stock A1200 ran (much better than an A500!). If you only wanted to play games a stock machine was fine, but a RAM board made it even better.

Quote:
Once my course was over in 1996 I had no use for Windows so I sold it and only had Amigas (stock A1200, A2000 with 48mb HDD and 5mb RAM) until the whole internet thing happened around 2000/2001.
By 1996 there was plenty of expansion stuff available for the A1200. Accelerator card prices were dropping dramatically, partly because the manufacturers knew they had to sell them before the market collapsed. That was the right time to get one.

Hard drives were getting cheaper too, simply because like all PC stuff they continuously got cheaper. I looked out for bargains as suppliers got rid of old stock that PC customers didn't want because the drive capacity was now too low for them (but fine for the Amiga!).

Page generated in 0.04370 seconds with 11 queries