View Single Post
Old 02 November 2022, 11:13   #19
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Abbott View Post
Only Eye of the Beholder looked to me like a game possibly worth getting a PC for. The Amiga version seems to have a 'compressed' palette, particularly in the control panel background. The extra colors available in VGA make this area look more 'magical', setting the tone of the game. The rest of the graphics are nothing special in either version, but overall the PC version looks more polished and 'believable', while the Amiga version is a bit crude in comparison. Had AGA been around 1991 the Amiga version could have been just as good as the PC version, but it wasn't so it couldn't.
Interestingly the sequel a year later that also didn't use AGA looks a lot closer to the VGA graphics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Abbott View Post
Unfortunately this video shows the limited usefulness of comparing games released on multiple platforms at the same time. I haven't checked the origins of all 8 games yet, but I suspect most of them were produced on the Amiga or ST first and then 'ported' to the PC, which would tend not to show off the PC to best advantage. Still, they are what they are. If you wanted to play these games in 1991, it doesn't look like switching from Amiga to PC would do a lot for you.
Indeed. If you had an Amiga in 1991 there was very little reason to get a PC especially for gaming. That would slowly change the next year with games like Ultima Underworld and Wolfenstein 3D. But 1993/1994 were the years when a lot of games on PC made the Amiga (mainly the OCS machines) look dated.

Page generated in 0.05384 seconds with 12 queries