View Single Post
Old 02 November 2022, 10:43   #17
Bruce Abbott

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
Just had this video as a recommendation on YT:
PC vs. Amiga - 8 games from 1991 [ Show youtube player ]
Curious. This video was a bit difficult to follow because it constantly switched from one platform to the other without telling you, except at the introduction of each game. What made it even harder was that except for two games (Eye of the Beholder and Street Rod) there was little difference between them graphically. I actually got more clues from the sound, and in some cases the screen ratio (PC version often looked a bit stretched vertically).

The PC version of Street Rod appears to have EGA graphics, while the Amiga version has noticeably has better colors and more of them. The PC graphics are well drawn and make good use of the limited palette, but this is not a game you would point to as a reason for switching to the PC.

Only Eye of the Beholder looked to me like a game possibly worth getting a PC for. The Amiga version seems to have a 'compressed' palette, particularly in the control panel background. The extra colors available in VGA make this area look more 'magical', setting the tone of the game. The rest of the graphics are nothing special in either version, but overall the PC version looks more polished and 'believable', while the Amiga version is a bit crude in comparison. Had AGA been around 1991 the Amiga version could have been just as good as the PC version, but it wasn't so it couldn't.

Unfortunately this video shows the limited usefulness of comparing games released on multiple platforms at the same time. I haven't checked the origins of all 8 games yet, but I suspect most of them were produced on the Amiga or ST first and then 'ported' to the PC, which would tend not to show off the PC to best advantage. Still, they are what they are. If you wanted to play these games in 1991, it doesn't look like switching from Amiga to PC would do a lot for you.

Another resource that I just remembered is MyAbandonware, which has screenshots of many games on multiple platforms making it easy to compare them. I will collect these screenshots to make side-by-side comparisons for each of the suggestions posted in this thread. When I have enough I will present them and we can rank the games according to how much they make the Amiga look like shit compared to the PC (or the opposite!).

Page generated in 0.04189 seconds with 10 queries