View Single Post
Old 02 November 2022, 01:05   #10
Bruce Abbott

Quote:
Originally Posted by malko View Post
Since the Amiga had fixed chipsets and the PC had moving hardware (different every 6 month) I think comparison is not reason...
I'm only interested in graphics. Though different graphics cards were released regularly, games couldn't rely on having all the advanced features of a specific card. A game might require 'VGA' which almost always meant 320x200 in 256 colors, or possibly 'Super VGA' 640x480 in 256 colors. Some cards might be faster than others but this doesn't affect how they looked, and was mostly only an issue for later 3D games anyway.

So rather than 'every 6 months' you are looking at several years between CGA, EGA, and VGA, with a few games using SVGA towards the end of the period. We should remember too that the majority of PC owners had older machines, not the latest model. Therefore, at least in the time frame we are considering, publishers generally avoided releasing games that needed the very latest graphics card etc. because it would limit sales.

From the Amiga fan's perspective it would not (or should not) be seen as a continuous development of better cards, but discrete steps up to each new 'standard'. However it would take time for games to make full use of it, just as we saw (and are still seeing today!) on the Amiga. The 'proof of the pudding' is in what games were produced. What I expect to see is graphics getting better over time independently of gradual hardware improvements, to the point where Amiga fans finally realized how much better VGA was. It is that point that interests me.

Page generated in 0.06719 seconds with 11 queries