View Single Post
Old 23 October 2022, 11:17   #130
Keatah

Only small regrets.

Having an A1000 setup, 2 drives, monitor.. Right when they came out. Sold it a few weeks afterward for fear of not having software. Recuperated 90% of the cost. So not too bad.

Having gotten an A500 in 87? And then selling it off around 2010 figuring I won't use it again. Only a small regret. Not missing the hardware, but some of the demos I collected.

I did have the foresight to save all hi-res pictures, the ones I downloaded when gifs were the thing, all the ones I drew myself - of RingWorld and sci-fi cars, and futuristic alien computers. That was a good thing!

I do not regret switching platforms from Amiga to PC. Got into PC prior to Doom, with a 486 DX2/50 with internal cache and FPU! Wow! And of course a Soundblaster, and SVGA, and 4MB (soon to be 8 and then 16). So I was good there. And got to experience the surprise of Doom as it happened - not seeing it and then wanting it, but running it the first time and being blown away by it.

I needed a serious science computer and something with "compatibility". And DOS/486 machines delivered in spades.

Today presently I periodically enjoy Amiga through WinUAE. It's enough to fulfill the pangs of nostalgia. I'm not attached to the hardware anymore, just the good times of discovery and exploration into graphics the Amiga provided.

Page generated in 0.04305 seconds with 11 queries