View Single Post
Old 23 August 2022, 22:29   #9
desiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmigaHope View Post
Dave Cutler actually did a pretty good job with the NT kernel. He knew what he was doing. It was far, far better than the 95/98 kernel, and in a completely different league than the garbage glorified graphical shell that was Windows 3.x. .
Yeah, I agree. NT was a decent OS. Yes, it wasn't as streamlined as the AmigaOS, but there are valid discussion points on both sides of that.

And my guess is Commodore would have gone that way. We've heard Dave Haynie say that they didn't avoid standards, but that they avoided bad standards, and the they probably would have gone PCI.
So, with a much more standard hardware platform, it really gets harder to justify not using a more standard (in the industry) OS.
And I think there is enough similarity between Intuition development and the Windows API that I could see at least professional apps being moved over fairly easily if that had happened.
But I think that would have meant a significant break in compatibility for games.
And the question would have been, is that still an Amiga?
I'd say no...
But I think the Mac stopped being what I think of as a Mac after System 7.. ;-) (OK, yeah... when pushed, I agree System 8 and 9 probably count.. ;-)

Page generated in 0.04857 seconds with 11 queries