View Single Post
Old 11 August 2022, 17:51   #72
AnimaInCorpore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Abbott View Post
I was shocked to discover that many arcade ports were done without access to any of the original assets. Apparently spending lots of money to secure the rights to an arcade port often didn't include getting any help at all. The developers were reduced to playing the game on an actual arcade machine and then reproducing it by eye!
True. However, Richard Aplin has actually taken the sprite graphics from the arcade:
Quote:
Final Fight was the only game where I used original arcade graphics (having spent quite a lot of time hacking them out of the arcade board's roms with a home-made rom reader) - even then it was just the sprites (I did rip all the background maps and tiles but they were not usable because they relied too much on parallax layers, many color palettes, etc, so some artists redid them by hand, not terribly well)
But obviously even that didn't pay off:
Quote:
Heh yes I see endless rants on Youtube about this, about how the Amiga hardware blah blah etc. Strangely, I haven't seen anyone actually do such a conversion.
I think some guy recently started redoing just the first level of Final Fight on the Amiga and used Dual-playfield mode (to keep the parallax) and hardware sprites for the players and... I can tell you right now that's not going to work for doing the whole game.

[...]

Anyway the haters / "Amiga experts" are more than welcome to do a better conversion if they think I did such a bad job ; I genuinely look forward to seeing it.
https://www.amigafuture.de/app.php/k...article?a=4441

Page generated in 0.04319 seconds with 11 queries