View Single Post
Old 24 June 2022, 00:03   #14
kad3t

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenam View Post
I have recently finally played both Pirates and Pirates Gold for the first time.

I am a big fan of pirating/trading simulators (played a lot of Sea Dogs) so I had high hopes for Pirates and... it just felt lacking.

The entire interface is very clunky. I know I should be looking at it through the "period glasses", but the combat just requires you to mash a button and pray, while the navigation map is very slow and frustrating to use. The rest is okay but the repetitive combat and sailing part kills it for me. Really wanted to like it though

Pirates Gold improves some parts of it, though. IIRC the combat and sailing parts are slightly better but the "city map" just slows down the action for no real benefit.

Will probably give it another spin down the road, maybe I was just hasty in my judgement.
Well, it's a game that started it all - well, not all maybe - but the games about pirate's life. Even one of the Assassin's Creed games was heavily influenced by it. Check the Port Royale, as it may be something you'll like. Many of the themes are similar there.

Pirates! is great and is historical piece. But as with most other games in existence, it does not have to be liked by everyone. And that's cool too, so don't worry about it.

Page generated in 0.04768 seconds with 11 queries