View Single Post
Old 01 March 2022, 00:18   #1
saimo

PED81C - pseudo-native, no C2P chunky screens for AGA

PED81C is a video system for AGA Amigas that provides pseudo-native chunky screens, i.e. screens where each byte in CHIP RAM corresponds to a dot on the display. In short, it offers chunky screens without chunky-to-planar conversion or any CPU/Blitter/Copper sweat.

Download: https://www.retream.com/PED81C

The videos below show a few examples.

[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]

Notes:
* due to the nature of the system, the videos must be watched in their original size (1920x1080);
* YouTube's video processing has slightly reduced the visual quality (i.e. the result is better on real machines).

Full details in the next posts (due to post size limits) and straight from the documentation.

Originally I had planned to use PED81C to make a new game. However, I could not come up with a satisfactory idea; moreover, due to personal reasons, I had to stop software development. Given that I could not predict when/if I would able to produce something with PED81C and given that the war in Ukraine put the world in deep uncertainty, I decided that it was better to release PED81C to avoid that it went wasted and also as a gift to the Amiga community.
I must admit I have been tempted to provide an implementation of PED81C in the form of a library or of a collection of functions, but since setting up PED81C screens is easy and since general-purpose routines would perform worse than tailor-made ones, I decided to let programmers implement it in the way that fits best their projects.

Last edited by saimo; 29 November 2023 at 13:10.

Page generated in 0.04253 seconds with 10 queries