View Single Post
Old 15 February 2022, 21:18   #51
ESC
Bad Banana

As tech moan said during his minidisc video "tech history is written by Americans", the Amiga will be forgotten because the Americans don't remember it.

I was talking to a young relative of mine at a family gathering after his dad tipped him off that I like video games and he asked me a lot of questions about retro games and if I was a Sega guy or a Nintendo guy growing up. When I answered him that I had a Sega but I mostly played on Amiga he gave me a confused look, he had never heard of that machine, he apparently watches a lot of American let's players/streamers that play retro games and youtubers that talk about retrogames and all that but he's never heard about what was going on here in Europe because all of the truly big names on youtube are Americans.

Thankfully that's changing a bit as of late but I don't think Amiga will be remembered in the end, younglings have no problem with playing Super Mario, Sonic, Zelda or any of the other big name games or consoles but when it comes to Alien Breed, Lemmings, Superfrog or anything else on Amiga they just don't bother because they don't know anything, thanks to Americans winning the culture war.

It also doesn't help that Amiga emulation is a hassle compared to retro consoles, you need the kickstart roms and if you don't get the WHDLoad versions of games you have to wrangle several disks in the emulator, especially those games that don't recognize a second disk-drive. With a Snes/MD emulator all you need are the games and you're good to go.

Page generated in 0.04348 seconds with 10 queries