View Single Post
Old 31 January 2022, 21:53   #36
BarryB
Amigaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarbron View Post
I did adjusted following criticism of being unfair, so in the link below you'll find adjusted collision and hitboxes.
It's an experiment with "instant knife" just like C64 and NES, instead of animation frames like arcade. I like the feel of the NES better than arcade (it's a case of "Contra" where the NES version is more beloved) and tried to get that feeling into Amiga Green Beret.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HNfrzieBdUuGuDLYwWdtPwjQEbpIU110/view?usp=sharing

Also added a ~2 seconds tolerance time for the player to get away from the back of the truck before it starts dropping soldiers. Please tell me what you guys think.

BarryB:
Yes, the siren issue. The whole problem is to try to squeeze it into 512KB Chip A500 OCS, samples are short, I can make it repeat many types by code (and will possibly do) but that was not top priority. Priority is game balanced, as most people are complaining that the game is too hard. Despite the disclaimer I put that it's supposed to be hard. It's my first Amiga game and I am not pretending I'd "compare" to the professional C64 devs from back then that did Green Beret... so, be gentle lol.

Had some harsh feedback from Per-Ola Eriksson on YouTube too but that was more related to polishing stuff like level 1 ends suddenly/bad, sometimes dogs master doesn't appear on level 2, color of dogs isn't varied, and so on. I knew of all these issues but in the extreme situation of doing this whole game in just a couple of months basically alone and on "stolen family time" I had to do compromises and focus in game-breaking issues rather than color of dogs and things like that. But he also said it's *unstable*... that's a serious issue, anyone is experiencing stability issues?

Lastly and overall, Green Beret's reception here has been positive, thank you guys!
I think as long as the game play is there and it's not rock hard and any major bugs fixed then you've achieved your mission

The A1200 has 2mb chip, so if you detect that load bigger/better samples as there's 283K left on the disk

You'll always get comparisons/criticism given how well known this particular game is, doesn't in any way mean the conversion is bad, just what people 'think' it should have included/excluded.

Page generated in 0.07580 seconds with 10 queries