View Single Post
Old 06 January 2022, 01:26   #1
sean_sk
Gimmemore Commodore

Hayesduino: Ethernet Hayes Compatible Modem

Hi all,

I haven’t been able to find much information on this forum or other Amiga forums, so I’m not sure if anyone here has already heard of Hayesduino by Payton Byrd. It’s an open-source project that turns an Arduino Mega 2560 into an Ethernet Hayes compatible modem.

A friend and I stumbled across this project in an effort to look for an Ethernet alternative to Wi-Fi modems for modem gaming. Although Wi-Fi modems seem to be great for connecting to bulletin boards, we had issues with latency for gaming, causing regular pauses in games like Super Skidmarks, or not even being able to connect with one another in games like Knights of the Sky.

We forked the project and made some changes to try and make it easier to connect and disconnect, including phone number spoofing in order to be able to connect using in-game dialers. I’m not really a programmer so most of the talent came from my friend. He also started adding a facility for dialing and changing settings using a touch screen, but unfortunately due to lack of time and will on his part, this is incomplete. Documentation has been updated to help those not familiar with Arduino’s to get themselves going.

Payton Byrd’s original project is found here:
https://github.com/plbyrd/hayesduino

My friends fork can be found here:
https://github.com/BODYPRINT/Hayesduino

Performance for us over the internet (100mbps down/40mbps up) is excellent, so we have had some really good sessions on Populous and Super Skidmarks. Knights of the Sky is problematic as it will disconnect after about 5 to 15 minutes which causes communications to lock up on the W5100 Ethernet shields. Due to our lack of experience, we don’t know why this happens.

So if anyone has the expertise and is interested, perhaps they can fork it and make further improvements to the code, because it really still needs some more work on it.

I’ve included a couple of videos of some gameplay:

[ Show youtube player ]

[ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by sean_sk; 06 January 2022 at 02:01.

Page generated in 0.05090 seconds with 11 queries