View Single Post
Old 19 December 2021, 16:41   #12
Matt_H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo Kazuki View Post
Excuse me, what?
Of course there are some "hacked" ports, but some ports are based on same sources as Lixux/PC/Mac ports. It's visible on addons/modifications, where probably all are working on "direct" ports, but some are not working on "hacked" ones.
I think you misunderstood - my point was that no matter how much one optimizes an Amiga port of something resource-heavy like Quake (or the modern PC Sonic engine), the performance will never equal the original version because our Amigas just don’t have comparable raw CPU/hardware power to the original platform.

Maybe the new A500 Doom-like game (I’m forgetting the name) is a better example. The performance is amazing and far better than the Amiga Doom ports because it’s all original, natively-written code. But it’s not “Doom” per se at the source level. I don’t know if any amount of optimization of the Doom source code could achieve similar performance while still retaining either portable code or 100% datafile compatibility.

The Sega Saturn version of Quake is another good example. It’s not actually a port of the Quake engine - it’s a conversion of the Quake assets to an optimized, Saturn-native engine. But it’s not “Quake” per se at the source level. I suspect it shares little to no code with id’s engine.

So if we’re to have a high-performing Sonic engine on the Amiga it’s got to come from a ground-up adaptation rather than porting the 2013 PC version. Technically it wouldn’t be “2013 PC Sonic” per se at the source level since it wouldn’t share any code, but it would be functionally near-identical.

Page generated in 0.04332 seconds with 10 queries