View Single Post
Old 15 November 2021, 19:50   #50
rabidgerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by torsti76 View Post
I think you got me wrong.

Let's reiterate:

If an Apollo is running at 80 MHz, RAM clock will be half of it, which is 40 MHz. This is because for that kind of speed, you have to apply a hack, tricking the card into 68040 mode (where the clock is always halved), while actually running it with a 68060.

If you apply the same hack on a Cyberstorm MK2, you will be able (given a permittive CPU) to run it at 100 MHz, with RAM clock halved to 50 MHz.

The thing is: In this scenario, the RAM access on the Apollo will be FASTER than on the Cyberstorm, because it's implemented more efficiently.

However, not all Apollos are able to run a 68060 at 80 (or even more) MHz, because the MACH130 chips used on the older boards can't cope with that kind of speed. My card maxes out at about 75 MHz, going higher makes it unstable.

Also, the SCSI controller is crap, but cannot be switched off completely, and the RAM controller producing non-consecutive memory segments is also far from ideal.

And the worst thing: All the data for the cards is still there, the owner being Jens Schönfeld. But he stated on more than one occasion that he thinks, that only dead Apollos are good Apollos...

So, if your Apollo can do 80 MHz, be happy and take good care of it... ;-)

So, getting back to the original topic, an Apollo should perform very nicely for this kind of game... If your's doesn't, maybe there's room for optimization using another 68060.library, or perhaps even another set of RAM modules.
Jens owns details about Apollo Accelerators? That's pretty random. Shame he prefers them dead as well.

Anyways my card is optimized as best as it can be I think. Went through that whole process a year ago. Get about 60184 drystones (44 something mflops) in SYSINFO. Not sure about my ram modules now, haven't really looked at those.

I use Apollo library as it seems to get better speed than the MMULib version.

Now got a FastATA working also. Think it Blood is loading quicker, I dunno, it's the only thing I've really played since I got it all operational again.

Page generated in 0.07192 seconds with 10 queries