View Single Post
Old 04 October 2021, 08:52   #53
Daytona675x

New wip video #19
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...yr1OhOssiA0axW

The game's sound effects (not music) system has been implemented. "system" is a huge word for what actually is just very few lines of code, but well, it does the job. So far only two effects have been integrated, mostly because I'm lazy and because for now I was actually most interested in checking out if there was any significant performance impact when playing all those sounds (and yay, there isn't ):

1. a simple ball kick sound. This one is played in "smooth" stereo (channel 0 and 1) coresponding to the ball's current horizontal position. My concern was that I'd have to stop the already playing sounds and immediately restart it under certain circumstances like very quick ball passing between two players or so. On the Amiga this would come at a significant performance penalty. Luckily the ball kick sound is short enough so that this isn't necessary.

2. simple stadium sound. Right now it's just one looping sample on channel 2 and 3. The idea is to use channel 2 for team A's fans and channel 3 for team B's fans and then enqueue different samples on the respective channel depending on situation.

The sound "system" already features all required functionality like sample management, enqueueing, stopping, (master)volume changes etc.
Nothing fancy at all, actually only very basic stuff. But even this simple first test version here already delivers quite some extra stadium atmosphere

Note that I sped up video playback x5 during booting and loading.

Cheers,
Daytona675x

Page generated in 0.04688 seconds with 11 queries