Thread: AGA or RTG
View Single Post
Old 20 September 2021, 19:33   #108
YouKnowWho
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
Haha, you mean phake 5? That was never a service, and he was never ready to manufacture any products; that was a blatant scam.
Lovely! Glad I wasn't part of the 1260 scam! :-)

Quote:
Parallel ports are plenty slow enough to not worry about the issues of parallel buses at speed, and the limiting factor was never the parallel transfers but the fact the parallel port was only designed to run at a certain speed. SCSI is probably a better example you should use, though even that went serial.
Am I the only one who remembers 320MB/s Ultra-SCSI LVD? Granted I don't know the nuts and bolts but I don't believe that was serial and it is plenty fast enough even by today's standards with room to spare for the fastest hard drives we have shipping today...well, exclude that dual actuator MACH2 Seagate drive.

Quote:
Where? Why haven't you bought one if there are plenty out there?
I mean plenty of ribbons used to bridge distance or allow flexibility of placement.

Quote:
What sort of spike voltages do you get over such a long bus? In terms of noise, reflections and so on, 5V is quite high in itself. And the spikes above 5V might not be the only issue to contend with - there's also undershooting, where the lines actually dip below the ground potential and can cause serious issues, and there's crosstalk, where signals in one wire induce a small voltage in an adjacent wire. The longer the wires are parallel, the more pronounced the effect, and it can creep up enough to push a logical 0 above the lower logic threshold. And there be dragons (and crashes).
Shielding around cable a solution?

Quote:
Indeed, along with designing a new accelerator that allows attachment of such a bus. Plenty of stuff to keep you busy on these darkening evenings But, while you're at it, why not do as I suggested and simply add a PCI bus onto your accelerator, like the BlizzardPPC? That way you won't be hobbled by the limitations of Zorro-II, and could use a dramatically more powerful graphics card than the Picasso II++.
Hey, experts who know the details can ponder and look at a viable solution. Clearly there are a lot of 1200s in the wild, and if they can sell these people barely needed 1260s, I'm quite certain there would be at least 3x that many people buying a decent RTG solution for the 1200.

If there is anything I've learned, it's is not first, but best. And I'd put my money on iComp to deliver best 1240/1260 solutions soon with working prototypes shown - even if I won't be one buying it. Also iComp on delivering a 1200 RTG/FlickerFixer solution in the A1200 Reloaded, and probably soon after MK4 indivision that also delivers the RTG function. But at that point the RTG solution may be available for all maybe - 1200, 4000, even ECS/OCS machines maybe! Who knows. It would help him sell the P96 software - so there is extra motivation in it perhaps.

Seems he has all the pieces in place, and plenty of knowledge. AND replied to emails, allowed orders, processes them quickly, efficiently - imagine that!

Last edited by YouKnowWho; 20 September 2021 at 20:15.

Page generated in 0.05067 seconds with 11 queries