View Single Post
Old 16 September 2021, 06:09   #3
Malakie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Abbott View Post
The only PCMCIA to USB adapters I can find are Cardbus, which is not compatible with Amiga PCMCIA.

The 'parallel' connector on the Zip250USBPCM drive connects to their PCMCIA adapter card. It might be SCSI protocol or it might be proprietary. The adapter card appears to be type II PCMCIA so it might work with the Amiga, but someone would have to write a driver for it (not easy and no guarantee that it can be done).

Zip drives are slower, lower capacity, and more importantly unreliable compared to other solutions such as Compact Flash and SD Card. You never know when it will crap out and destroy all your disks. I would not have one today even for the nostalgia - some things are best forgotten!
Thanks for the info on the PCMCIA stuff.. As for the zip and jaz, I have used those for years on Amiga's. Never had a major failure.. A few disks finally failed with too many bad sectors but as long as they are not banged around while actually spinning, I have never had any problems... back then or even today.

I am currently running 100 meg zip and a 2 gig jaz on each of my two working systems.

Of course I am also using a bunch of different CF cards as well.. I use the jaz and zip mainly for storing stuff like documents, images and any archives I need to save and keep. I don't use them for constant playing games or things like that.

Page generated in 0.04269 seconds with 11 queries