Thread: Target Renegade
View Single Post
Old 28 August 2021, 19:06   #33
reno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havie View Post
You are correct on the Amstrad graphics (although palette can be a bit garish at times). Problem for the Amstrad was that Speccy was generally the lead platform and ports were basically Speccy code wiith Amstrad graphics (or not even these sometimes) which meant that may games were slower and not as playable. Obviously this wasn't always the case and certainly now days, programmers have proved how amazing the Amstrad can play and look but then the Speccy colour clash has been overcome too!
Speccy ports were certainly an issue with smaller UK publishers (+ sometimes Gremlin), but to be honest we simply moved on to the next game when we saw one. Their loss.

It was far from the majority though : there were enough great games from the likes of Ocean (and of course the French/Spanish publishers) to keep us busy and not waste any time on the Spectrum rubbish. It was only disappointing when that happened to some high-profile titles (R-Type, thankfully homebrew coders fixed that later !) or unique ones (Saboteur)

Now, I probably have a different perspective because I grew up in France where admittedly things started off more slowly than the UK, but at least we dodged the ZX bullet : Amstrad was the leading 8-bit platform (well over 50% market share, rest was C64 + homegrown brands and nearly no Spectrum) and most of that was the 128K disc-based 6128 too.

As a result CPC owners didn't keep a low profile like they did in the UK and were probably more demanding with their games. Magazines would swiftly laugh off any Speccy ports that made it across the Channel : they would give a lot more coverage to the latest Ocean or Rafaelle Cecco games and of course the local Amstrad-first ones from Loriciels, Ubi Soft, Ere, Titus...

Quote:
But I think Swainy's recoloured Speccy graphics look the biz.
Agreed ! That wasn't meant as a jab.

Last edited by reno; 28 August 2021 at 19:54.

Page generated in 0.08550 seconds with 11 queries