Thread: Target Renegade
View Single Post
Old 28 August 2021, 09:37   #30
Havie

Quote:
Originally Posted by reno View Post
Don't necessarily assume that people will have done their homework and checked all three major 8-bit platforms when they say that (in the UK it's safe to assume they've probably never seen the Amstrad version ) : this stuff is ALL about the nostalgia goggles

Of course the Spectrum port looks the worst of the 3 here, as it nearly always does.
The Amstrad has the best gfx, as often because it can do both C64-style 16 colour low res gfx (but with a much better palette) and Spectrum-style 4 colour hi-res gfx (but with no clash and even higher resolution).

The C64 has the smoothest animations (hardware sprites), best sound (SID) and I would bet probably also the best overall gameplay.

In general, I think that for most games "Amstrad vs C64" is a much more interesting comparison than the tired old "C64 vs ZX" : the CPC and C64 are actually playing in the same league.

"Amstrad vs ZX Spectrum" doesn't even deserve a debate because sound-wise it's a draw (both AY), and gfx wise it's like watching a Premier League club obliterate the Sunday League amateurs. See here for example
You are correct on the Amstrad graphics (although palette can be a bit garish at times). Problem for the Amstrad was that Speccy was generally the lead platform and ports were basically Speccy code wiith Amstrad graphics (or not even these sometimes) which meant that may games were slower and not as playable. Obviously this wasn't always the case and certainly now days, programmers have proved how amazing the Amstrad can play and look but then the Speccy colour clash has been overcome too!

But I think Swainy's recoloured Speccy graphics look the biz.

Page generated in 0.05859 seconds with 11 queries